This department started functioning
in 1943 with Bachelor's programmes. The postgraduate programmes were introduced
after 1957. The department had such eminent scholars as Pt. Jaydevdev
Vidyalankar, Shri Ramchandra Vaman Kumbhre, Prof. Praveen Chandra Jain, Pt. Jagdish
Chandra Sharma, Prof. Ramesh Chandra Shastri, Prof. Shyama Bhatnagar, Prof. Chandra Kishore Goswami and Dr. Kusumlata Arya. They enriched the department with the great breadth of their
learning and the depth of intense specialization. Their creative research made
an impact upon the community of scholars and their high level of sustained efforts
nourished the intellectual life inspired by their association with the faculties of other Universities.